Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sweet Yurt Trip

Paige and I went on a 3-day yurt trip in the Tetons a few miles from Grand Targhee resort in early February. We have been anxiously awaiting the CD with the pictures since our camera malfunctioned on the first day, and it finally arrived! So now we can share this adventure as well.....

Here's a picture of the yurt:

We went with Paige's uncle Steve, one of his coworkers Pete, and Pete's brother-in-law Dan. Here's a shot of the group (me, Paige, Dan, Pete, and Steve):

All of us were freeheelers as well (the only way to ski!).

We couldn't have picked a better time to go. The snowpack had been very unstable for most of the winter, but it stabilized nicely the couple of weeks leading up to our trip. Plus, the snow! Hero snow for sure. Every turn was buttery smooth, knee to thigh high turns, lots of cold smoke, face shots, the whole bit. Some shots were even snorkle-worthy.

Here are a few select photos:

Hiking up the ridge to Beard Mtn:




Steve, Paige and I:


Paige rippin' it up!



Here I am getting my share:



Steve sampling the goods:



Dan had some great shots too:



Pete was the selfless photographer but on one run I tried to catch him but the shots were a little blurry:


Look at the cold smoke!


Halfway through the trip the heel lifter on one of my skis broke and so we had to rig an alternative:

It actually worked perfectly and saved the trip for me!

The snow was perfect, the quads got worked big time, we got very dirty and smelly (no showers or baths), but we survived and had a blast! We would recommend this to anyone!

Here's a parting shot of Grand Teton in the background (the clouds parted one afternoon and allowed us the view):

5 comments:

Laura Horne said...

SO impressive! We miss you guys.

West said...

Guys that looks like it was a total blast! One day and a few couple dozen pounds I will be there with you/ Pretty Majestic.

Geri Davis said...

Looks like you rocked it Paige!! Sweet lookin tele sister!

Kimberly said...

Wow, I've been really bad at checking blogs lately. You've been doing too many fun things. Your trip to St. George and Targee look like so much fun. I can't wait til we live in the same state again. I guess we'll have to convert to tele's (Jesse wouldn't mind). Keep up on the pictures so I can see all that you guys are doing.

Jake said...

What a great time. I am so jealous. St George looked fun also.

You guys coming to the Cape?