Tuesday, January 18, 2011

San Diego





Chris and I wanted to have one last getaway before the baby arrives and we are no longer 'single', and before I became too pregnant. The scheduling worked out just right and we headed to San Diego for a quick weekend getaway. The weather was fabulous - in the 80s, and we were able to do and see a lot.
We went to the beautiful San Diego Temple. The building is so amazing - inside and out. And, in looking at this picture I realize just how pregnant I look.

We spent the afternoon at Torrey Pines State Park, which is actually a really neat beach that is paralleled by a bunch of walking/hiking trails that take you through the protected areas that have all of the torrey pine trees that the beach and state park are named for.



Torrey Pines beach is also a great place for surfers. Chris caught some cool shots of some of the locals taking advantage of the waves.

Our hotel was right next to Old Town San Deigo, which had some great restaurants and a lot of history to go with it. We ate at a yummy mexican place, which totally redeemed mexican food for me (Having had a series of bad experiences with mexican when I was first pregnant I hadn't dared try anything for the last 4 months). We walked around and saw some of the original and restored buildings from some of the first people to come to the area.

The next morning we found a great diner and had a lazy start to the day. We spent the afternoon at the San Diego Zoo. Neither Chris nor I had been to a zoo in a long time and had a lot of fun. As if we were on a safari we took a lot of pictures trying to catch some great shots of the 'wildlife'.









The orangoutangs were so much fun to watch. This is an older monkey playing with a younger one (not eating him, as it looks in the picture). Chris and I were both very pleased at how energetic most of the animals in the zoo were. Sometimes it can be more depressing than exciting when caged animals appear too melancholy. One of my favorites was an otter that was making fast circles in the water chasing his own tail.

The San Diego Zoo is one of the only zoos to have live pandas. The panda exhibit is monitored very closely so the animals are disturbed as little as possible.

Chris and I had a wonderful weekend away. I was completely exhausted by the time we got back to our apartment. I realized just how much of a toll pregnancy has taken on my endurance, and where I am at home most days I was not used to all of the activity.


5 comments:

Laura Horne said...

So smart to take a "babymoon!" Eric always refers to our pre-kid, married life as our "single" days too. No wonder you're his favorite of all my friends.

Miss you guys.

Kimberly said...

Looks fun- I can tell you have a really nich camera because all your pictures are really good. You hardly look pregnant by the way!

Meg said...

Paige, I am assuming you took the pics. You go and take a photo class and then get a job with National Geographic! You have got some real talent.
The temple picture looks almost fake it is so beautiful. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
Miss you.

Lindsay said...

Looks like a fun vacation! Next time you are down in SD, go to the Mormon Batallion. They have renovated the museum and it is incredible. We loved it and learned a lot. I hope you have a very uneventful 3rd trimester! Enjoy the rest of your "single" days (that's what Ryan and I refer to that time also). :)

hoLLY said...

oh how fun!! and what a great idea before baby comes!!!great pics by the way!