Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hush Little Baby...


Chris and I were singing (as good as our off-tune voice boxes would let us) to Emersyn on night and didn't really know the words to Hush Little Baby. I looked up the lyrics and thought someone had made them up.


Hush, little baby, don't say a word.
Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird

And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass

And if that looking glass gets broke,
Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull

And if that cart and bull fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in


So instead Chris and I made up our own words to the song:

Hush, little baby, don't say a word.
Daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Daddy's gonna buy you a diamond ring

And if that diamond ring turns blue
Daddy's gonna buy you a big canoe

And if that big canoe starts to sink
Daddy's gonna buy you a bike that is pink

And if that bike happens to get a flat
Daddy's gonna buy some skis that are fat

And if those skis don't go through the pow'
Daddy's gonna buy you a nice big cow

And if that cow makes nothing but pies,
Daddy's gonna have to sing you some more lullabies.

I do have to say that the whole part about the cow and pies came up because of the cows on my dad's ranch...it works.

6 comments:

Jessica Roper said...

I like your version Better!

Becky said...

Love the revised version! Also loved all the blessing pics. What a great day! Emersyn is just beautiful!

*Brandi said...

You are both hilarious...and very creative! Way to go!

Ashley Ferguson Moreno said...

I'm pretty sure I need to save your lyrics.

Kimberly said...

So cute. I felt that same way the first time I read/sang the words to Jane in one of our books. Your version is much better. I'll have to write it down and change my words too :) I can't wait to meet Emersyn in August. It was good to see your fam the other day, and it made me laugh because I can't believe Jan is already done with her program and Sarah is almost home. Time goes by REALLY fast when you are not around. I hope you guys enjoy your last month before coming back to good ole' utah. Talk to you soon!

Nicole Garner McConkie said...

That is so funny. My Dad used to sing me that song, but make up different things that I loved. Now it is Hyrum's favorite but he call's it the dino song. Daddy buy's all the dino's we can think of!