Monday, November 1, 2010

LA Triathlon

Chris and I helped out the other Fontana and Kaiser Permanente sports medicine fellows and residents in doing medical coverage for the LA Triathlon. The whole system was amazingly organized and elaborate, and thankfully, not very necessary as far as injuries and accidents were concerned. Chris and I were very excited to be able to take part in covering the race and seeing some professional triathletes as well.


Here is Chris in the medical tent during our morning debriefing. Chris and I were in van#1 with Slim, our driver. After following the bikers on the course for a time we were stationed at the turnaround for the run. We had fun cheering on the runners and taking pictures.
Chris, Tanya, and another volunteer hanging at the start of the race. Of course with my timing I get Chris with his eyes closed.

Chris got some great shots of the riders on their bikes.
It started out as a foggy and chilly morning, but toward the end of the race the sun came out and we really started to heat up. I'm sure the racers did as well.
This is one of my favorite photos from the race. This is Sarah Haskins, a professional triathlete that competed in the 2008 Olympics and is a very accomplished racer. She entered the LA triathlon with an injury knowing she would have to walk on the run portion and that she would get last place out of the professional women, but because of the way the points system works she would still get some points by at least placing. I thought it was inspiring as you rarely see professionals walk, and often times if they are far behind they don't even finish a race because they are racing to win. I liked how in the photo she is the only one you can see on the course and she is obviously walking but looking up and not down.
This is the photograph I used for the camera class I was taking. It is the water station at the turn around point of the triathlon. I had to use the aperture setting, but still didn't really figure it out very well. It is where the images up close are in focus and everything behind is out of focus. I still have a lot of practicing to do.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Loved catching up with all of your happenings. I feel like I know more about your coming and goings than when you lived next door because you were mostly going! J/K Your photography is great. Nice job. Chris, nice panning! Paige do you have a fixed focal length lens (like a 50 mm 1.8l or 85 mm? only about $95) If not, you will love it and then aperture will make total sense.

West said...

Great pictures Paige. Looks like you guys are having a great time there.

West