Sunday, September 14, 2008

LOTOJA - and the best husband ever!




All summer we had been training for the Lotoja. All of our other races and rides were leading to this main event. It was my second time riding and Chris' first. Chris had made some major improvements in his riding ability. So much that it was frustrating for me because I always had a hard time keeping up. We decided to ride together, which at first didn't seem like a good idea, but quickly became an ideal situation. Chris had some friends who really wanted to push it and beat 10 hours and wanted Chris to ride with them. But, with it being his first time, he wanted it to be more enjoyable than stressful. I was nervous because I hadn't done a ride like that in a while and wasn't sure how I would feel riding 206 miles.

Our plan was a pleaser for both of us. Chris waited for me at the first rest stop and then we rode the rest together. He would take off on the climbs and I would meet him at the top. Chris helped me through a couple of stretches where I started to bonk until I could pull through. I am so grateful that he was there to 'pull' me through. Chris did fantastic and won his group in the King of the Mountain!



Getting ready early in the morning. Chris started at 652 am with the annual licensed Cat 5 and I started at 701 with the annual licensed cat123 and 4s
.


Chris starting off with his group



Coming in at one of the rest stops.



Here is the back side of the jerseys Richard designed. We got a lot of comments on the Big Daddy Hunt Club.







My mom, dad, Jan and Sara did the support for us. They did a great job making sure they were there when we came in and having peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches and bagels ready for us. Sara added extra flavor by having a different costume at each rest stop. Seeing all of them, and especially Sara, was great each time we rolled in to refuel.



Coming in at the finish. I was so tired and Chris just couldn't wait to be done.



Can you believe we are actually standing? We are making plans for next year.

4 comments:

Sonnie's Stories said...

Way to go Paige and Chris. We just bought a cycle trainer bike (I don't know what they are called) and I am excited to be able to bike while Max is sleeping).I came across your blog through West's. Send me an email to allisonsj@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite to my blog...
-your cousin allison jossie

Meg said...

Good job Paige and Chris. We found your blog and I read the entry and got a little choked up. Yes, it is great to have good husbands! We need to get together.
Megan (and Ben)

Kimberly said...

Paige, Your blog looks cute- I think you figured out the background thing. Good job on the race again. It was fun to see the pictures of your trip to Pennsylvania. I'm sure that was awesome for you to be able to see where he lived for so long. Your trip to Powell looked fun too.

Jason and Tricia said...

Wow, Paige! You guys are awesome! Good job.